Monday, March 10, 2008

Discipling Allie

Without question, Allie is our child with the most attitude. She's a total rebel. Every time you ask her do to something (or not do something) her first response is "no". You can even trick her by asking, "Do you want a treat?" Her first response is, "no...uhhh...yes".

So the other day we had another rebel moment. I can't remember what she did, but she earned herself a trip to time-out. When she arrived at the designated corner, she threw herself back and laid prone on the floor, screaming. Too bad for Allie, because that's not the way we do time-out at our house.

So I picked her up and took her to a new corner. She wailed through her 3 minute time-out. After which, I sat her down and did the all important parental review with a touch of love. So we talked.

If you have ever tried to have a serious conversation with a 3 year old child, you know it's challenging at best. This time was different. I was making a connection. She was staring up at me totally focused on what I was saying. We reviewed why she went to time out and how it was bad and that she shouldn't do it again. I told her I still love her, but she can't behave the way she did. It was an amazing Daddy-daughter moment until...she stuck out her little finger and said, "Daddy...boogie in your nose. I get it for you." And up my nose went her finger.

Yeah...my message really got through.

No comments: